Patheos Press Submission Guidelines
December 12, 2011
Patheos Press is seeking original, thoughtful, and engaging writing about religion. Our books, which at present are published electronically, cover a wide range of religion and spirituality subjects and feature a wide range of approaches, from academic and journalistic to devotional and personal. Broadly, we are looking for:
• Irresistibly interesting reported pieces
• Engaging essays, whether focused on the timely or the timeless
• Theological and philosophical studies
• Spiritual guides and devotionals
• And much more. If you are a good religion writer with clear idea, we’d like to hear from you.
Book Length and Format
Patheos Press publishes both short-form and long-form writing. Our shorter books are 10,000 − 20,000 words, and with manuscripts of that length, we aim to be quick to market. Our longer books can be any length. The beauty of digital publishing is that book length will be determined by the idea. If your idea or story needs to be 10,000 words, let’s chat. If you have a 75,000-word idea, we’d like to hear about that, too.
Selection and Production Process
Patheos Press handles editing, production and marketing of all manuscripts. Because digital publishing involves high “soft costs” in the form of our time, we are highly selective. Your concept must be crisp, your writing must be clear, and you must have identified a potential audience for your book in order for your manuscript to be considered.
Patheos Press and its authors share copyright and royalties for the terms of the contract. We negotiate separately with each author to determine royalty structure and/or other payments.
To submit a query to Patheos Press, send us a 1-page (single-spaced) overview of your idea. Be sure to include:
• A sharp, clear working title and subtitle.
• A brief overview of your concept. Explain your idea, then tell us why it needs to be written now and why an audience will care.
• An explanation of how you plan to deliver your concept. How would you describe your approach? Journalistic? Personal? Scholarly? Devotional?
• A description of yourself. Why are you the best person to write on this topic?