From Shane Claiborne:
So let’s imagine. What would Jesus say to our nation, where these are things are true:
- 10,000 people die from gun-related homicides each year, that’s one Sandy Hook massacre a day, every day
- there are nearly 90 guns for every 100 people
- there are over 51,000 licensed gunshops (and 30,000 supermarkets)
- guns that can shoot 100 rounds a minute, and are only designed to kill, are still legal
- other than auto accidents, gun violence is the leading cause of death of young people (under 20)
- 20,000 dollars a second is spent on warThere is a reason we talk about “Peace on Earth” so much around Christmas. There is a reason why we talk about Jesus as the “Prince of Peace”. He consistently taught that we can disarm violence without mirroring it, and that we can rid the world of evil without becoming the evil we abhor. So let us recommit ourselves to Peace this Christmas season and new year — in honor of Jesus, and in honor of the holy innocents.