Charlie Strong expectations:
- Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.
- No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.
- If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don’t want to run.
- No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.
- Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they’re a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.
- The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.
- There’s no time for a rebuild. “I don’t have time for that.” The expectation is that Texas wins now.
- Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.
- The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.
- Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.
- “I don’t want to talk about things. I’d rather do things. We just talked. Now it’s time to do.”
Longhorns Meet Discipline
Jan 18, 2014 @ 9:42 by Leave a Comment