John Shore wrote on his blog an article called “Seven Reasons Women Stay in Abusive Relationships.” It is an excellent piece of writing and speaks very practically about the reasons someone stays in a bad relationship. The article is worth looking at, even if you are not someone, nor do you know someone who is abusive. The answers John gives helps us understand how it is that we may do things that do not seem like it’s in our best interest. It is a wonderfully well written, easy to understand and non-clinical approach to answering the question, “Why do some women stay in abusive relationships?”
Here are some of the section headings from his article-
- The Challenge of Having to Create a New Self Image
- Fear of the Unknown
- Fear of Embarrassment
- Replaying Your Family’s Old Tapes
- You Love the Lovable In Him
- How Could He Be So Different From You?
- He LiesJohn’s blog on this subject has a lively comments section below his post. The discussion makes for a robust and thought provoking take off point whether you are a professional, a victim of abuse or an abuser. I highly recommend the reading.