May was not as controversial a month as I reported yesterday that April had been. I continued with the following posts on the atonement and the resurrection throughout May and also into June. In fact, there were a few posts on the atonement which spilled into July, and I have listed them here also. If that’s not enough for you on this vital subject, remember to look at my April review which lists a lot more!
- John Stott on the Atonement—The Conclusion
- Terry Virgo On the Results of the Cross
- C. J. Mahaney on the Cross
- Tom Schreiner on the Atonement
- Spurgeon on the Atonement
- Wayne Grudem on the Atonement
- A Limited Atonement? Did Jesus Die For All?
- J. I. Packer on the Atonement
- The Atonement—A Quiz
- Penal Substitutionary Atonement—Precious Gospel or Divine Child Abuse?
- Brian McLaren Supports Steve Chalke About the Cross
- The Atonement and the Resurrection—It’s All About Jesus
- The Atonement—Jesus’ Death Is Not Repeated at Communion
- The Atonement—Don’t Forget the Blood of Christ
- Are You Still A Sinner?
- Is the Cross a Legal Fiction? No, Because the Resurrection Changes Us
- The Atonement—Is Penal Substitution the Only Thing That Happened at the Cross?
- Christianity Magazine Reviews Pierced For Our Transgressions
- The Atonement—Is Jesus the Good Cop?
- The Atonement—What Does Imputation Mean?
- Jonathan Edwards on the Resurrection
- The Atonement—What Did Jesus Die From?
- The Atonement—2 Corinthians 5
- Atonement—Jesus Thought He Was Fulfilling Isaiah 53
- The Atonement—Isaiah 53
- Resurrection Sunday—The Commission of the Risen Christ
- Sam Storms Reviews Pierced For Our Transgressions
- Atonement—Who is Preaching Another Gospel?
- The Atonement—What Happened to Jesus on the Cross?
- Resurrection Empowered Life—The Deposit Guaranteeing Our Inheritance
- Penal Substitutionary Atonement Summarized in Romans 15
- The Atonement in Romans 12-14
- Resurrection Empowered Life—Dying to Live
- John Piper Friday—Christ’s Obedient Life and Death Entwined
- The Atonement in Romans 9-11
- The Atonement in Romans 8
- Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones and Separating Over the Atonement
- Resurrection Empowered Life—Raised With Christ
- John Piper Friday—Romans and the Reason for the Atonement
- The Atonement—Romans 6-7 and Penal Substitutionary Atonement
- The Atonement—Romans 4-5 on Penal Substitutionary Atonement
- The Atonement—Romans 1-3 and Penal Substitutionary Atonement
- Atonement—The Angry God of the Bible
- N. T. Wright on Paul and the Resurrection Empowered Life
May and June were also the months I began to introduce my readers to the leader of the family of churches of which I am a part. I did a multi-part inteview with Terry Virgo, shared two of his sermons, and introduced his blog in these posts:
- Terry Virgo Preaches on Ephesians 4
- Terry Virgo Preaches on Jesus’ First Miracle
- Terry Virgo Starts a Blog
- Terry Virgo On Healings, Driscoll, and Theology
- Amazing Grace on a Wedding Day
I highlighted a post on a subject that would later in the year lead to the first full-scale blog debate between some of my heroes of the faith. It was slightly cheeky, and I suppose the possibility of a challenge by others was implicit in Mark Dever and Ancient Baptistries. I was also very provoked by a post I quoted from Gandalf’s blog, Why Do We All Like Jesus?
I very much enjoyed talking with Liam Goligher, in a wide-ranging multi-part interview, as well as The Authors of Pierced for Our Transgressions.
I also put out a plea which remains out there for anyone with old messages from Downs Bible Week, C. J. Mahaney, and Others to contact me. In particular, I am interested in messages by my old mentor, Henry Tyler.
Also in May I was fascinated to come across a sound bite that has lived with me since—”We need to show the people we understand what it’s like to be unbelievers.”