I did a series of daily talks during the Covid-19 lockdown.
I wanted to do something during this crisis, something to try to help others (and myself). At first I thought it might be too ambitious to give talks every day, but I made it work and I’m pretty proud of the series. I had intended for it to end right at the end of the lockdown here in Kansas City, but the lockdown has been extended.
I’ll try something else next. Putting out this material has been good as far as giving me something to do, bringing something positive into the world when so many people are struggling with what’s going on.
What’s a Bodhisattva?
A Bodhisattva is someone who is trying to unleash their potential for mindfulness and compassion. We’re on the Bodhisattva path because we’re trying our best.
This text “the 37 practices of a Bodhisattva” is a concise text written by a Tibetan teacher in the 14th century named Tokme Zangpo. It’s a summary of how we should behave as we are on the path to awakening. It’s like a list of 37 tips to help keep us on track.
Going through these every day has been enormously meaningful and helpful to me. I want to teach a class on this text at some point and I’m hoping an opportunity for that will appear.
So, I am sharing all of the videos here.
You don’t have to watch all of these and you don’t have to watch them in any order.
- Make Life Meaningful
- Attachment and Hatred
- Abandoning Negative Places
- Giving Up Concern For This Life
- Bad Company
- Relying on a Spiritual Friend
- Taking Refuge
- Lower Realms and Virtue
- Happiness is Like a Dewdrop
- What Use is Our Own Happiness?
- A Mind Intent on Benefitting Others
- When Someone Steals
- If Someone Tries To Cut Off Your Head
- Bringing Disgrace Onto the Path
- Bringing Harsh Words Onto the Path
- Bringing Ingratitude Onto the Path
- Bringing Defamation Onto the Path
- Bringing Decline Onto the Path
- Bringing Prosperity Onto the Path
- Bringing Anger Onto the Path
- Bringing Attachment Onto the Path
- Free From Delusion
- The Object of Attachment
- The Object of Aversion
- Training in Generosity
- Training in Discipline
- Training in Patience
- Training in Diligence
- Training in Concentration
- Training in Wisdom
- Examine Your Confusion
- The Faults of Others
- Honor and Status
- Giving Up Harsh Words
- Negative Emotions
- Mindfulness and the Benefit of Others
Visit my YouTube Channel to hear Talks!
And go check out my Podcast Sharpening the Mind