The Lunar Zodiac is believed to be one of the most ancient scientific subjects ever studied. It follows the moon, not the sun, and is divided into twenty-eight sections called “the Mansions of the Moon.” The Mansions are divided into twelve parts, or “steps.” Unlike the secular zodiacs, the original meaning to which these steps point is the story of the gospel and biblical prophecy, similar to God’s Zodiac based on the twelve solar signs and their 36 decans.
Each of the moon’s 28 Mansions parallel and correspond to a solar sign.
The Lunar Zodiac is believed to have been unknown to the Romans, Greeks, and Egyptians, which partially explains why the Solar Zodiac was not incorporated into Islamic ideology. The Islamic calendar follows the moon, similar to those who traveled through Arabia from India and China. In Arabia and India, Lunar Mansions are interwoven throughout poetry, science, and mythology, and beautifully described in Max Muller’s (and others’) monumental 50- volume work: Sacred Books of the East. Indian astronomers assigned figures to each step; Middle- and Far- East astronomers named them without assigning figures or emblems.
Interestingly, the Chinese zodiac begins with Virgo, as does God’s Zodiac, about which I write based on the 19th century work of Joseph Augustus Seiss’ The Gospel in the Stars. The Lunar Zodiac was widely known in China– as far back as the reign of Yao, roughly 2,300 years before Abraham– which became what is now called the Chinese Zodiac.
Unlike the Chinese Zodiac, which points to years grouped by animals, such as the Year of the Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, etc., Seiss points out that the Lunar Mansions proceed “in strict accordance with the scriptural prophesies and descriptions of the Seed of the woman” as described in Virgo.
- Lunar Mansions 1-3 correspond to Virgo:
- Al Awa “the Desired.” Jesus is the “the desire of nations.” (Hag. 2:7)
- Simak al Azel “Branch of the power of God.” Jesus is “God’s servant the branch,” and “the branch of righteousness who shall execute judgment.” (Zec. 6:12, Isa. 4:2, Jer. 23:5, 33:15)
- Caphir, “the atonement, “the propitiation by sacrifice.” Jesus was the offering who atoned for our sin. (Rom. 3:25; Heb. 2:17; 1 John 2:2, 4:10)
- Lunar Mansions 4-5 correspond to Libra: Al Zubena, “the redeeming,” the “regaining by purchase,” and Al Iclil, “the complete submission.” (Gal. 3:13; Ps 130: 34:7,22; Eph. 1:7, 4:30)
- Lunar Mansions 6-7 correspond to Scorpio: Al Kalb “the cleaving” or “wounding” and Al Shaula, “the sting, the deadly wound.” (Isa. 53:5; 1 Pet. 2:24)
- Lunar Mansions 8-9 correspond to Sagittarius: Al Nairn, “the gracious,” the “delighted in,” Al Beldah, “hastily coming, as to judgment.” (Isa. 42:1; Matt. 12:18; Joel 3:12; 2 Tim. 4: 1, 8; James 3:1, 4:12; Rev. 20:4)
The next grouping (Capricornus, Aquarius, Pisces, and Aries), which represents the outworking of the gospel in the church, the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, and the promise of a Redeemer, corresponds to the following Lunar Mansions:
- Lunar Mansion 10 corresponds to Capricornus: Al Dibah, “the sacrifice slain.” (1 Cor. 5:7; Heb. 7:27, 9:28; Rev. 5:12)
- Lunar Mansion 11-13 correspond to Aquarius: Sdad al ‘Bula, “witness of the rising” or “drinking in;” Sdad al Su’ud, “witness of the swimming or outpouring;” Al Achbiya, “the fountain of pouring.” (Isa. 44: 3, 32:15; Ezek 39:29; Joel 2:28; Acts 2:17, 33, 10:45; Matt. 26:28; Php. 2:17; 2 Tim. 4:6)
- Lunar Mansion 14-16 correspond to Pisces: Al Pherg al Muchaddem, “the progeny of the ancient times;” Al Pherg al Muachher, “the progeny of the latter times;” Al Risha, “the band, the joined together.” (Eph. 1:18; Rom. 8:27; Hebrews)
- Lunar Mansion 17-19 correspond to Aries: Al Sheratan, “the wounded, that was cut off;” Al Botein, “the treading under foot;” Al Thuraiya, “the enemy punished.” (Isa. 53:3; Rom. 16:20; Gen. 3:15; Dan. 9:26)
- Lunar Mansions 20-21 correspond to Taurus: Al Debaran, “the Leader, the subduer,” and Al Heka, “the driving away.” (Matt. 10:1; 1 John 4:18)
- Lunar Mansions 22-23 correspond to Gemini: Al Henah, “the wounded in the foot;” Al Dirak, “the ill-treated.” (Isa. 53; 1 Pet. 2:24)
- Lunar Mansions 24-25 correspond to Cancer: Al Nethra, “the treasure,” “the possession,” Al Terpha, “the healed, the delivered, the saved.” (Ps. 107:6, 116:8; Dan. 12:1; Isa. 33:6; Col. 2:3)
- Lunar Mansions 26-28 correspond to Leo: Al Gieba, “the exaltation,” “the Prince,” Al Zubra, “delayed punishment;” Al Serpha, “the burning.” (Isa. 9:6; Ezek. 37:25; Dan. 8:25; Acts 5:31)
Nothing could explode from nothing (a black hole or a big bang) and create signs in the heavens with such precision and order. Each number, each rotation, each variant of every star, was created specifically and unmistakably to point to Jesus.