Today, after a brief hiatus, we conclude Denis Lamoureux’s series of brief slideshows on his popular book I Love Jesus & I Accept Evolution. The previous slidshow is here, and all slideshows previous to that can be found here. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this series, as I know many of you have too, and I’m sorry to see it end.
Today’s post covers chapter 7 of his book and is entitled “Putting Origins in Perspective.” That chapter comprises 7 wrap up points, and Lamoureux focuses here on 5 of them:
- How Can Evolution Reflect Intelligent Design? (answer: the God of ID is a terrible pool player);
- Why Did God Create through Evolution? (answer: Young Earth Creationists actually lack faith in God);
- Why Did God Use Ancient Science in the Bible? (answer: God likes being understood when he talks);
- What about Original Sin? (answer: O.K., what about Adam?);
- What Do We Teach in our Churches and Schools? (answer: evolutionary creation–duh).
Lamoureux is associate professor of science and religion at St. Joseph’s College in the University of Alberta. He holds three earned doctoral degrees—dentistry, theology, and biology–which uniquely qualifies him to speak to the issue of human origins and Christian faith. He gets the science, he gets the hermeneutics, and he articulates both clearly for non-specialists (full bio here).