In light of the recent controversy over the finding of the so-called “Jesus Family Tomb,” I thought I would highlight a recent article from John Piper about the resurrection.
Eight Reasons Why I Believe Jesus Rose From the Dead
- Jesus himself testified to his coming resurrection from the dead.
- The tomb was empty on Easter.
- The disciples were almost immediately transformed from men who were hopeless and fearful after the crucifixion (Luke 24:21, John 20:19) into men who were confident and bold witnesses of the resurrection (Acts 2:24, 3:15, 4:2).
- Paul claimed that, not only had he seen the risen Christ, but that 500 others had seen him also, and many were still alive when he made this public claim.
- The sheer existence of a thriving, empire-conquering early Christian church supports the truth of the resurrection claim.
- The Apostle Paul’s conversion supports the truth of the resurrection.
- The New Testament witnesses do not bear the stamp of dupes or deceivers.
- There is a self-authenticating glory in the gospel of Christ’s death and resurrection as narrated by the biblical witnesses.
Read the entire article here.