She’s tough. She fights with a staff. And she’s good at fixing spaceships. If it weren’t for all the striped alien makeup on her, you might confuse her for Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Rey. But instead, her name is Jaylah, and she is one of the main new characters introduced in Star Trek Beyond, which opens next Thursday.
Paramount has released a new featurette dedicated to her, and it features soundbites from actress Sofia Boutella, director Justin Lin, actor/co-writer Simon Pegg and producer JJ Abrams (who, as it happens, directed The Force Awakens).
Here is the featurette:
Meanwhile, rumours persist that Star Trek Beyond won’t be screened for critics in most North American cities, but the film was shown to some critics in Los Angeles last night, and the initial Twitter reactions have been very positive (as the first wave of tweets often are). TrekMovie.com has rounded some of them up here.
Finally, Paramount has also released a new TV spot:
Check out earlier trailers and other videos here:
- The first trailer (December 14, 2015)
- The second trailer, the CBS All Access teaser and the ‘Fan Event’ video (May 20, 2016)
- The third trailer, the ‘Sledgehammer’ music video, and three featurettes on Rihanna and the making of her video (June 27, 2016)
- The ‘Discover’, ‘Bold’ and ‘Last Report’ TV spots (June 28, 2016)
- The ‘It’s Me, Not You’ clip, the ‘Jaylah’, ‘Kirk’, ‘Bones’, ‘Sulu’ character videos, and the ‘Fly’, ‘Big Attack’, ‘Discover’ and ‘Bold’ TV spots (July 1, 2016)
- The ‘Krall’ featurette, the ‘Sydney Premiere News Wrap’ video, and the ‘Unity’ TV spot (July 11, 2016)
- The ‘Scotty Meets Jaylah’ clip, the ‘UK Premiere’ video, and the ‘Skills’, ‘We Change’ and ‘Come with Me’ TV spots (July 13, 2016)