Way, way behind on Christmas this year. Just got the ornaments on the tree yesterday, and now we’re wrapping presents. Alas, I didn’t have a chance to race around drawing suspicious glares at area convenience stores for the annual Keendex. I apologize for that, but I doubt it’s changed much from last year’s list.
Here, as ever, is Anne Lamott’s Advent Adventure.
Then I called my Jesuit friend, Tom, who is a hopeless alcoholic of the worst sort, sober now for 22 years, someone who sometimes gets fat and wants to hang himself, so I trust him. I said, “Tell me a story about Advent. Tell me about people getting well.”
He thought for a while. Then he said, “OK.” …
And here are a few Christmas-y things from this blog that it’s the season to revisit:
- My two-part list of Christmas movie recommendations.
- And my Notes and Rules for a Christmas Music Playlist.
- A reminder that the kids in girl and boy land will have a Jubilee.
- “Soul-winning Secrets of a Master Missionary”
- Wishing everyone Happy Holidays (because the holidays are plural and the world is pluralistic).
- Hyperbole and a Half, “The Year Kenny Loggins Ruined Christmas”
- Daniel Berrigan, “Advent”
- Paul Bibeau, “The Truth About Santa Claus”
- Mark Evanier, “My Xmas Story”
And speaking of annual traditions, here’s the Pogues, because even though we say this every year, I can see a better time, when all our dreams come true.