Founded in 2008, Patheos.com is the premier online destination to engage in the global dialogue about religion and spirituality and to explore and experience the world's beliefs. Patheos is the website of choice for the millions of people looking for credible and balanced information about religion. Patheos brings together faith communities, academics, and the broader public into a single environment, and is the place where many people turn on a regular basis for insight, inspiration, and stimulating discussion. Patheos is unlike any other religious and spiritual site on the Web today.
As evidenced by the company founders' story, religion and spirituality continue to be an important part of American life, with more Americans today than ever before identifying themselves as spiritual. In fact, according to the Pew Internet Project, more than 82 million Americans (and 64 percent of all Internet users) utilize the Web for faith-related matters. The importance of religion and spirituality, coupled with the growing use of the Internet for religious matters, point to the ongoing need for an online resource for religious and spiritual engagement and dialogue. Patheos fills this need.
Patheos is a place to:
- Find accurate, balanced information on the world's religions in our extensive library.
- View religious history and facts through unique interactive tools that allow visitors to compare, contrast, and explore religions and belief systems in new and innovative ways.
- Participate in the global dialogue on religion and spirituality through responsible, moderated discussions on critical issues across religious traditions.
- Read commentary on current events from a wide range of viewpoints.
- Follow your favorite bloggers and columnists.
- Engage with others from various faith traditions.
- Get a glimpse into the beliefs and traditions of other faith groups in a safe and welcoming environment.
For all that we hope to accomplish at Patheos, we also must be realistic about the things that we are not.
- Patheos is a resource for all belief systems and does not support, endorse, or promote any one religion.
- Patheos is not perfect. We have leaned on the guidance of some of the most respected minds in the religion and spirituality community, and have sorted through significant disagreements about nomenclature, categorization, historical references, and more. We are working to constantly improve our content and resources, and we appreciate your feedback and suggestions.
- Patheos is not complete. Our goal is to have more than 100 of the world's religious and philosophical traditions reflected in the library, as well as religion portals for a variety of the major traditions. We will continue building these resources as we are able.
- Patheos will not sand off the rough edges. While we want a fair and welcoming environment, we also deal with a content area that evokes passion and sometimes leads to controversy. We walk a fine line by presenting material responsibly and honestly without diluting it.
We hope that Patheos provides what you are looking for – whether that is a quick fact, deeper exploration, perspectives on a current event, or a source of inspiration and hope. Thank you for visiting Patheos.