Quote of the day

“It was good. I dozed off, though. Don’t take so many pauses.”

– My wife, answering the weekly question after Mass, “What did you think of my homily?”

Comments

1. Deacon Rick says:

LOL. Sounds like a good, honest answer. There is a man in my parish finishing his third year of formation for the diaconate, and hopefully will be ordained this coming November. Recently, he led Stations of the Cross for the first time. I wasn’t there, but he later told me about the criticism he received from his wife. I told him to get used to it, as our wives are the ones who will offer the most criticism of what we do, and how we do it. Many times, it’s the most honest, and needed criticism.

2. Kimberly St. John says:

That is very funny. I miss crying during mass because of your homilies. I haven’t cried once yet in my new church!

3. Win Nelson says:

It was honest, but also kind. She’s an excellent wife to you, Deacon Greg.

4. Deacon Mike says:

I don’t get the opportunity to preach all that often, but it just so happens my opportunity came last weekend. So guess what? Before preaching at the 5:00 mass on Saturday I remember that I didn’t allow my wife to be the “first hearer” of my work. While delivering the homily her frownie face told me all I needed to see (know). We talked afterwards and she helped me strike a better balance in my transition from the old to new testament, with a crisper message delivery. I really do have a soulmate here!

5. Fr. Deacon Daniel says:

This is why every priest needs a Pani too! ;-)

6. Wow. You’re even having a tough time with the domestic combox this week. :)

7. LOL, aren’t wives the ones that keep us men from reaching too high a level of pride? Sometimes I wish my wife would just let me feel a little pride. ;)

8. Kathy Schiffer says:

Ah, Deacon Greg, you have found yourself a good woman! Now listen to her. :-)

9. Deacon Steve says:

I know that my wife will always give me an honest critique of my homilies. I have 1 or 2 parishioners that will also be honest with me, so I can accept their compliments. For a while the 3 priests and the other deacon and I were meeting with a group from our Life Teen peer liters (that is how they spell it) and doing a Lectio Divina exercise with them to help plan the homilies for the up coming Sunday. They were given permission to tell us what worked and what did not at the previous Sunday before we planned the next. One night I did the homily and it did not go well. For some reason I got off track and then couldn’t get back on. I knew it wasn’t good. After mass one of the young men that attended came up and said he wasn’t able to be there at the next meeting, but he said that one wasn’t good. It was a great moment for me because he was comfortable coming to me and saying it wasn’t good. It was an honest critique, which helped me, and let me accept his compliments when he felt my homily was well done.

10. Mark Greta says:

“A good and wise man is usually as good and wise as his wife brings him to be over time with great effort.” That was Greta’s favorite line. She had it up in our kitchen in full view each morning. Not sure who said it other than her. She had the sign made on a trip to the Smokey Mountains. Your post reminded me of her line and how right she was as always.

11. And then there was the good and holy priest who told us he got up to preach one day and nothing came to him. In fact, he couldn’t even remember what he said! After Mass, he received so many compliments and congratulations. He said it was all the Holy Spirit because, he still doesn’t know what he said!

Sometimes, too, you just have to let go and let God, as the saying goes!

12. An attorney once told me one of the cardinal rules for being a good trial lawyer was “never ask a question you don’t know the answer to in advance.”