Bible movies have been on my mind lately, for obvious reasons, ranging from the hit TV series The Bible (two episodes down, three to go!) to the recent news about certain rival Moses movies. Since this is a genre that I’ve been covering for almost 20 years, I’ve been thinking of re-posting some of the articles I’ve written about earlier Bible movies and TV shows.
And what better place to start than the Lux Vide series The Bible Collection? This 13-part series of TV movies — which, yes, started with Creation and ended with Revelation — was produced between 1993 and 2002, and I reviewed every single one of these films, in seven articles written between 1996 and 2004 as each film (or each boxed set of films) was released to home video in North America.
Unfortunately, the films were released here slightly out of order, and some of the lower-profile entries in the series took years to get aired and released on this continent — so the reviews are somewhat out of order too. It’s also interesting to look back at the earliest reviews, written in the early days of the world wide web, and to remember how difficult it could be to find information about this series back then.
I should also note that, while I have not revisited most of these films since writing the reviews, I would probably respond to some of them differently now than I did back then. I was still attending film classes at UBC when I wrote the earliest reviews here, and I think I had become a better, more experienced writer by the time I got to the end of the series. But make of these articles what you will.
• June 1996: Review of Abraham (1993), Jacob (1994) and Joseph (1995) for BC Christian News.
• December 1996: Review of Moses (1995) for BC Christian News.
• March 1998: Review of Samson and Delilah (1996) and David (1997) for BC Christian News.
• March 2000: Article on Jesus movies, including brief comments on Jesus (1999), for Books & Culture.
• May 2000: Review of Jesus (1999) for BC Christian News.
• April 2001: Review of Genesis: The Creation and the Flood (1994), Solomon (1997), Jeremiah (1998) and Esther (1999) for BC Christian News.
• April 2004: Review of The Apocalypse (2002) for Christianity Today Movies.
• July 2004: Review of Paul the Apostle (2000) for Christianity Today Movies.