by John Piper of Desiring God – Santa Claus: Harmless Fun or Tragic Distraction?
Editor’s note: Found this on Derick Dillard’s social media. Interesting that since Ben Seewald has been spouting more liberal views that Derick is suddenly now the Duggar’s fundamentalist mouthpiece. Keep in mind that this is from the same stupid mindset that believes that Starbucks having a plain red cup is somehow harming Christmas. Also, Pastor John, I can see and touch the roof on my home unlike Jesus. If you are seeing and touching Jesus the same way that you are your roof it may be time to talk to your doctor and a neurologist or psychiatrist!
- Santa Claus offers only earthly things, nothing lasting, nothing eternal. Jesus offers eternal joy with the world thrown in. Yeah, the fire engine is thrown in.
- Santa Claus offers his ephemeral goodies only on the condition of good works. He knows when you are sleeping. He knows when you are awake. He knows when you have been bad or good, so be good for goodness’ sake. That is a pure works-religion. And Jesus offers himself all the gifts freely by grace through faith.
- Santa Claus is make-believe. Jesus is more real than the roof on your house.
- Santa Claus only shows up once a year. Jesus promises, “I am with you always”. You say to your kid every night: He is standing by your bed. He is with you when you get up in the morning. He is with you when you go to school today. If mommy and daddy die, he will be right there with you. Santa doesn’t hold a candle to this flame: Jesus.
- Santa Claus cannot solve our worst problem, and Jesus did solve our worst problem — our sin and our alienation from God. Santa Claus can put some icing on the cake of the good life, but he cannot take a shattered life and rebuild it with hope forever. And our kids need to know that about Christmas.
- Santa Claus is not relevant in many cultures of the world. And Jesus is the King of kings and Lord of lords and all the peoples of the world.
QUOTING QUIVERFULL is a regular feature of NLQ – we present the actual words of noted Quiverfull leaders, cultural enforcers and those that seek to keep women submitted to men and ask our readers: What do you think? Agree? Disagree? This is the place to state your opinion. Please, let’s keep it respectful – but at the same time, we encourage readers to examine the ideas of Quiverfull and Spiritual Abuse honestly and thoughtfully.
Stay in touch! Like No Longer Quivering on Facebook:
Copyright notice: If you use any content from NLQ, including any of our research or Quoting Quiverfull quotes, please give us credit and a link back to this site. All original content is owned by No Longer Quivering and Patheos.com
Read our hate mail at Jerks 4 Jesus
Contact NLQ at SuzanneNLQ@gmail.com