This episode of the Wisdom Podcast features an interview with Alexander Berzin. Alex is a translator and teacher of Tibetan Buddhism. A prolific author and translator, he has published seventeen books and is also the founder of StudyBuddhism.com, an extensive source of authentic Buddhist teachings, presented in a down-to-earth and practical way.
Alex and host Daniel Aitken discuss
- his journey into Buddhism, which started with practicing yoga at thirteen;
- how he was impacted by meeting the Dalai Lama;
- his encounters with great teachers like Serkong Rinpoche, Geshe Ngawang Dhargyey, and others;
- the special training he received in the Kalachakra Tantra;
- his adventures teaching Buddhism around the world, including giving some of the first public Buddhist teachings in eastern Europe after the Soviet Union broke up;
- and much more.
Alex began his study of Buddhism in 1962 at Rutgers and then Princeton Universities, and he received his PhD in 1972 from Harvard University. His main teachers have been His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Tsenzhab Serkong Rinpoche, and Geshe Ngawang Dhargyey. Practicing under their supervision, he completed the major meditation retreats of the Gelug tradition.
Remember to subscribe to the Wisdom Podcast for more great conversations on Buddhism, meditation, and mindfulness. And please give us a 5-star rating in Apple Podcasts if you enjoy our show—it’s a great support to us and it helps other people find the podcast. Thank you!