iPieta (iOS/Android: $3) is huge app, both in scope and size. At 181 MB, it demands a hefty chunk of real-estate. (By comparison, Cut the Rope only takes up 22 MB.) But it earns its space by placing a staggering library of documents and prayers at your fingertips.
The documents are divided into four sections: Bible, Calendar, Prayers, and Veritas.
The Bible tab includes the full text of both the Douay-Rheims and the Latin Vulgate. You can access these separately or as an interlinear page, alternating English and Latin line-by-line. Each chapter displays in a single scrolling page, and it’s fairly easy to scroll through the entire bible, individual books, and verse-by-verse.
The Calendar section offers both Ordinary and Extraordinary calenders, with the ability to switch between the two by shaking the device. Date, feast, readings, and liturgical color are all indicated, with each day linked to the text of the readings.
The selections included under Payers is vast, with separate sections for Divine Mercy, Sacred Heart of Jesus, Passion, Mass, Eucharist, Stations of the Cross, Devotions to Jesus, Holy Spirit, and vast selections of Marian prayers, novenas, saints prayers, common prayers, and more. These can be bookmarked for quick retrieval, or accessed through keyword searches. In addition, many of these prayers come with optional audio files which can be downloaded from ipieta.com and added to your device. This adds another 664 MB to the install, however.
Finally, there is the Veritas tab, which is just … well, look at what’s included:
- Works of St. Augustine and St. John Crysostom
- The complete Ante-Nicene and Nicene Fathers
- Council documents from Nicea to Vatican II
- The last 200 years of Papal Encyclicals, up to Caritas in Veritate
- The Summa Theologica, Catena Aurea, and The Catechetical Instructions by St. Thomas Aquinas
- Haydock’s Biblical Commentary
- Baltimore Catechisms #1, #2, and #3
- Catechism of Christian Doctrine (Promulgated by Pope St. Pius X)
- Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis De Sales
- The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas Kempis
- True Devotion to Mary, Love of Eternal Wisdom, Friends of the Cross, and The Secret of Mary, by St. Louis Marie de Montfort
- The Dialogue, by St. Catherine of Siena
- The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus, The Way of Perfection, and the Interior Castle, by St. Teresa of Jesus
- Treatise on Purgatory, by St. Catherine of Genoa
- Instructions on the Catechism, Selected Explanations and Exhortations, Excerpts of Sermons, by St. Jean-Marie Vianney
- Ascent of Mount Carmel, Dark Night of the Soul, Spiritual Canticle, and Living Flame of Love, by St. John of the Cross
- The Roman Catechism (also knows as The Catechism of The Council of Trent or The Catechism of Pope St. Pius V)
- The Dolorous Passion, by Ven. Catherine Emmerich
- Fathers of the Church (Eerdman’s version)
- Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola
- The Sinner’s Guide by Ven. Louis of Granada
- The Rule of St. Benedict
- Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius
- Confession of St. Patrick
- Abandonment to Divine Providence
- The Cloud of Unknowing
So, yeah. Do I really need to say much more than that?
All of it is searchable. And all of it costs … $3. I mean, seriously people: THREE BUCKS!