The Hebrew Bible contains one story of human failure after another, leaving us with no doubt in our minds: humanity desperately needs a leader. In this episode, Tim walks us through the structure of the Hebrew Bible and how it shows us Jonah is an anti-leader, the opposite of what humanity needs, whose failure prepares us for the ultimate leader and Savior, Jesus. This is a sneak peek into our free graduate-level course on Jonah, which will be featured in the new Classroom resource available in 2022.
- Part one (0:00-19:40)
- Part two (19:40-27:30)
- Part three (27:30-42:30)
- Part four (42:30-end)
- Interested in more? Check out Tim’s library here.
- Jonah class session notes, including the handout “How to Read a Text Like the Hebrew Bible” (page 5)
- Jonah: A Literal-Literary Translation, Tim Mackie
- The Wisdom of Ben Sira (which Tim mentions in part one) is a deuterocanonical work of biblical theology written shortly before the Maccabean Revolt.
- Classroom Application
- “Defender (Instrumental)” by TENTS
- “Keep an Open Mind” by Olive Musique
Show produced by Cooper Peltz, Dan Gummel, and Zach McKinley. Show notes by Lindsey Ponder.
Powered and distributed by Simplecast.