At the center of the center of the Torah is the Day of Atonement. What is the significance of this day the biblical authors have placed at the heart of the Torah? What does this day accomplish? And what’s with the sacrificial goat and the scapegoat? In this episode, Tim and Jon explore the Day of Atonement and the ultimate atonement accomplished by Jesus on the cross.
- Part one (00:00-20:20)
- Part two (20:20-37:53)
- Part three (37:53-51:08)
- Part four (51:08-01:08:30)
- Sin, Impurity, Sacrifice, Atonement: The Priestly Conceptions, Jay Sklar
- Cult and Character: Purification Offerings, Day of Atonement, and Theodicy, Roy Gane
- Interested in more? Check out Tim’s library here.
- You can experience the literary themes and movements we’re tracing on the podcast in the BibleProject app, available for Android and iOS.
- “Defender (Instrumental)” by TENTS
- "Wanna Get Away with Me?" by Unwinding with Whitney
- "Pockets" (Artist Unknown)
- "Butterfly" by Swørn
Show produced by Cooper Peltz. Edited by Dan Gummel and Tyler Bailey. Show notes by Lindsey Ponder. Podcast annotations for the BibleProject app by MacKenzie Buxman and Ashlyn Heise.
Powered and distributed by Simplecast.